February is National Pet Dental Health month so we're doing our part to banish bad breath and help keep those canine chompers looking and feeling their very best all year round. Aside from regularly brushing your dogs teeth, there are some other ideas to keep doggy mouths healthy and, well, less doggy.
1. Chew toys: There are many chew toys specifically designed to clean and aid in the oral care of your dog. Take advantage of your dogs love of chewing and give them a toy actually intended for their teeth and gums.
2. Raw bones: Giving your dog a frozen raw bone actually has many benefits besides being hailed best owner on earth! When your dog chews on a raw bone the cartilage and soft tissue still attached give their teeth the equivalent of a actually brushing. It also provides them with a good oral workout! Just remember to always supervise your pups while they enjoy raw bones.
3. Dental chews: There are many already made dental chews and products that also aid in oral heath care.
4. Homemade: If you love baking wholesale treats for your dogs, then these limited ingredient, bad breath fighting tasties should be next on your list. These minty dog treats are super easy to make and will have your dogs begging for fresh breath.
Ingredients: (Makes about 24, 3-inch dog bones)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. almond flour
- 1/4 c. dried mint
- 1/4 c. dried parsley
- 1-1/2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. water
Mix all ingredients together until a dough forms. Mixture may be sticky, add flour until it becomes a workable dough-like consistency.
Roll out dough and cut out shapes. We used a 3 inch dog bone shape. But you can also roll them into small bite size balls if you don't have cookie cutters.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
How do you care for your dogs teeth?